43 Eastern Cape initiates died last season18:39 19/02/2016King William’s Town – Out of 42 225 initiates, 43 young boys died during the last circumcision season in the Eastern Cape, Premier Phumulo Masualle said on Friday.
“It saddens us though to see families grieving the loss of their children as a result of botched circumcisions,” he said in his State of the Province address in King William’s Town, according to a copy of the speech.
“Clearly, we cannot allow this situation to continue like this.”
He said the provincial government would continue looking for ways of making the tradition a pleasant experience.
A number of people had been arrested.